What is a hair transplant?
A hair transplant is a surgical procedure that takes hair from one area (donor site) of the head to a bald or thinning area of the head. This procedure can restore hair on the scalp that has been lost due to age, disease or injury.
Hair transplants are typically performed as an outpatient procedure, so you won’t need to stay in the hospital overnight.
Factors that affect hair loss:
- Family history (inheritance)
- Hormonal changes and disease
- Medication or supplements
- Radiotherapy to the head
How safe is the hair transplant?
Hair transplant is the most common cosmetic surgery with a tremendous success rate. It is also the safest procedure, provided a trained medical surgeon performs it. Being safe creates natural hair lines that are indistinguishable from the rest of your hair. At Karishma Cosmetic, the success rate is very high.
Are hair transplants suitable for everyone?
While hair transplants are usually safe, they are suitable for everyone. The candidates include:
- Alopecia areata
- Scarring alopecia
- Unrealistic expectations of hair transplant results
- Body dysmorphic disorder
Your medical consultant must ask about your medical history and examine your hair and scalp during the consultation to determine whether you are a good candidate for surgery.
How does a hair transplant work?
The healthcare provider takes a graft or small piece of skin from areas of the body that contain healthy hair. This area is called the donor site. It is usually on your head, at the back of your scalp. After thoroughly cleaning your scalp, a surgeon uses a small needle to numb an area of your head with local anaesthesia.
Two main techniques are used to obtain follicles from transplantation:
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT):
- The surgeon will use a scalpel to cut out a strip from the scalp skin of the head. The incision is typically several inches long.
- This is then closed with stitches.
- The surgeon will divide the scalp strip into small pieces. They can separate the parts into up to 2000 small fragments called grafts.
- With a needle, the surgeon makes a small hole in the scalp, where the hair is transplanted.
- The surgeon inserts hair into a hole from a removed piece of the scalp. This step is called a transplant.
- Then cover the surgical site with a bandage or gauze.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE):
To perform the FUE procedure, your surgeon performs the following steps:
- In this procedure, hair follicles are cut out directly from the back of the head through hundreds to thousands of tiny punch incisions.
- The surgeon makes tiny holes with a blade or needle in the area of your scalp that’s receiving the hair transplant. They gently place hair in these holes.
- A surgeon may transplant hundreds or even thousands of hair during one treatment session.
- After the graft, gauze or bandage will cover your scalp for a few days.
What are the risks of hair transplant surgery?
Although hair transplant is a very safe procedure, all surgical procedures come with risks:
Hair transplant swelling: Swelling is widespread and won’t cause problems but can have consequences if you can’t open your eyes due to swelling.
Hair transplant scars: This is particularly common with FUT surgery and usually happens when an unskilled surgeon performs the procedure.
Adverse reactions to anaesthesia: Some people are allergic to local anaesthetic, which can cause anaphylaxis.
Postoperative folliculitis: Hair follicle inflammation is one of the most common hair transplant side effects.
Ways to avoid these risks.
Fortunately, most hair transplant complications are avoidable with the correct technique and care.
Choose an experienced surgeon and a reputed clinic: This is the most important way to ensure a safe hair transplant. Working with a qualified surgeon with an excellent track record of successful hair transplants is far safer than risking it with an unknown or underqualified physician.
Have an in-person consultation: Going for an in-person consultation will help to have a complete hair and scalp exam to plan the line of treatment in a better way.
Follow your aftercare advice carefully: Take all your medicines as prescribed by your doctor.
How do we keep our patients safe during hair transplant procedures?
At Karishma Cosmetic, patient safety is our top priority. Here’s how we maintain the highest safety standards to ensure you have a safe and successful hair transplant. Ongoing support and aftercare, including scheduled follow-up visits to check the progress post-surgery.
- A team of qualified and experienced medical professionals.
- A tailored treatment plan is designed for all patients based on the cause, rate and extent of your hair loss.